Temporary residence permit may be issued for one, two or three years. It is usually issued on the basis of family reunification, employment, business, or study.

  1. An application for a temporary residence permit shall be submitted through the electronic system of the Migration Department MIGRIS ( The page is available in Lithuanian and English. Upon filling in an application and providing all the necessary documents, the foreigner shall select and reserve the time of the visit of the Department. Biometric data and missing documents, if any, will have to be provided during the visit.
  2. The relevant documentation shall include: a valid travel document, documents supporting the issue (marriage certificate, employment/study contract), document on sufficient amount of means of subsistence, document on the place of residence (it may be a consent written by the owner of the housing in free form), a criminal record, document on health insurance, travel and residence in foreign countries (it is in the system, you just need to select the countries in which you lived previously), a document certifying legal presence (e.g. visa). All these documents will have to be scanned and uploaded into the system.
  3. Documents issued by foreign authorities (except passports) must be legalized or approved by a certificate (Apostille). (This can be done at the Legalization Unit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
  4. The toll shall be 120 EUR or, as a matter of urgency, EUR 240.

Permanent residence permit is issued for five years and later replaced. It is issued to persons of Lithuanian descent, foreigners who have received an asylum, foreigners who have lived in Lithuania for 5 years without interruption and on other grounds.

  1. The application shall be submitted through the MIGRIS system.
  2. Documents required: a valid travel document, documents justifying the issue, proof of sufficient means of subsistence, a criminal record.
  3. Documents issued by foreign authorities (except passports) must be legalized or approved by a certificate (Apostille). (This can be done at the Legalization Unit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
  4. The toll shall be 90 EUR or, as a matter of urgency, EUR 180.



Finding and successfully renting accommodation in Lithuania is certainly not easy for foreigners. Several web pages containing advertisements (some of the advertisements are available in English and Russian):

The main conditions that are important to discuss with the owner of the house are:

  1. For what period does the owner agree to rent the dwelling?
  2. What is the size of the deposit?
  3. What is the rental price and what level of public utility charges can be expected?
  4. Does the owner agree to register the contract at the Register Centre? (Only the registered contract is legal and lawful against the State)
  5. Does the owner agree to declare your place of residence and the place of residence of your family members at the address of the dwelling? (Declaration of residence is essential; not having it will lead to difficulties in accessing a wide range of social services, registering at health institutions, school, kindergarten, etc.)
  6. Whether the apartment is insured against accidents (fire, water leakage, etc.)

Questions that may be asked by the owner before renting the dwelling:

  1. Family composition, age of children, country of origin
  2. Pets
  3. Bad habits
  4. Nature of work of adult family members, preliminary amount of salary

If the terms of the lease are mutually satisfactory, the lease is signed. It is important to read it carefully, with the help of a translator if possible. The signed contract must be taken to the Register Center for registration. The place of residence can be declared in the district municipality administration (an eldership).


There are two types of medical institutions in Lithuania – state and private. In the private ones, the services are provided for a full price, while in the state ones, most of the services are free of charge, but for that you need to be covered by the Compulsory Health Insurance (privalomasis sveikatos draudimas – PSD).

How to choose a polyclinic and get registered at one?

  1. Usually, people choose a polyclinic based on their place of residence. At the time of registration, you can also choose a family doctor.
  2. Before registering, it is advisable to check if you have the Compulsory Health Insurance (PSD). Check here: . On this website, you need to enter your date of birth and the last four digits of the personal code. Automatically covered by the Compulsory Health Insurance are employed persons (insurance being paid for by the employer), students (insurance being paid for by the university), persons registered with the Employment Services (state-funded insurance), refugees participating in the integration program (state-funded insurance). To know more about health insurance, contact “SODRA” (State Social Insurance Fund Board under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour) consultants.
  3. To fill the application for registration at a polyclinic, visit the clinic directly, and approach the head of the department or the administration office. It is advisable to carry a Lithuanian residence permit and a few Euros for the toll fee. In Vilnius, “Karoliniskes” polyclinic (Karoliniškių poliklinika) allows registration by email, and “Centras” polyclinic (Centro poliklinika) allows registration online using a login on E-Government Gateway (via the Smart-ID App installed at the bank).
  4. After registering at the polyclinic, it is possible to book an appointment. Simply call the reception or book online (a login on E-Government Gateway required).